The main difference between left and right brain is that the left brain is more verbal, analytical and orderly whereas the right brain is more visual and intuitive. Furthermore, the left brain controls the functions of the right side of the body while the right brain controls the left side of the body.
Left and the right brain are the two hemispheres of the brain with very similar anatomy. Moreover, the left brain is called the ‘digital brain’ while the right brain is called the ‘analog brain’.
Key Areas Covered
1. What is Left Brain
– Definition, Structure, Capabilities
2. What is Right Brain
– Definition, Structure, Capabilities
3. What are the Similarities Between Left and Right Brain
– Outline of Common Features
4. What is the Difference Between Left and Right Brain
– Comparison of Key Differences
Brain Hemispheres, Brain Lateralization, Left Brain, Right Brain
What is Left Brain
The left brain is the left hemisphere of the brain, which is responsible for language, writing, logical reasoning, linear thinking, and mathematics. This means the left brain is capable of thinking in abstract numbers, letters, words, and formulas. It is strongly verbal and reacts best to verbal input such as reading, spelling, writing, and sequencing. It responds well to phonics during learning to spell and read.
Left brain does not need to visualize the whole image to understand an idea. It looks at the parts of the complete image first and then arrives the concept of the whole idea.
What is Right Brain
The right brain is the right hemisphere of the brain, which is responsible for creativity, intuition, and impulsiveness. It processes the information in whole concrete images, not step-by-step methods to reach the final conclusion. Therefore, it has difficulties in understanding parts of a whole image. Also, the right brain faces difficulties in sequential thinking and it has to be trained in sequencing skills with the use of visual images or concrete materials.
The right brain may have difficulties in working with measurements, time, size, fractions, money, word problems, algebra, and geometry. It may not follow oral instructions without a visual demonstration.
Similarities Between Left and Right Brain
- Left and right brain are the two hemispheres of the brain.
- Each hemisphere can perform its functions independently from the other hemisphere.
- However, both hemispheres are connected by a large number of nerve fibers that help to communicate with each other.
- However, one hemisphere is dominant in each individual.
- The dominant brain hemisphere determines the person’s personality, thoughts, and behavior.
- But any individual uses both hemispheres equally.
- Each hemisphere controls the functions of the opposite side of the body due to the way of nerve innervation.
Difference Between Left and Right Brain
Left Brain refers to the left-hand side of the human brain, which is believed to be associated with linear and analytical thought while the right brain refers to the right-hand side of the human brain, which is believed to be associated with creative thought and emotions.
Front lobe of the left brain is small while front lobe of the right brain has more mass when compared to the left brain. This is one main biological difference between left and right brain. There are other biological differences between left and right brain as listed below.
Occipital lobe of the left brain has more mass while occipital lobe of the right brain is small.
Left Sylvian fissure is flat while right Sylvian fissure curls upwards.
While left brain is situated slightly back in the skull, right brain is situated slightly in front of the skull. From the back, the left hemisphere curls into the right hemisphere at the back.
Cortical columns of the left brain are more spaced while cortical columns of the right brain are located closely.
The functional difference between left and right brain is that the left brain is involved in logic, analytical thought, language, writing, reasoning, scientific approach, use of tools, calculation, criticism, and planning while the right brain is involved in emotions, intuitions, art, non-verbal language, music, visualization, creativity, impulsiveness, and imagination.
Type of Processing
Also, the left brain is involved in local processing while the right brain is involved in global processing.
Whereas left brain is responsible for controlling the right side of the body, right brain is responsible for controlling the left side of the body. T
Left brain is the left hemisphere of the brain and it is responsible for the analytical and verbal activities. But, the right brain is the right hemisphere of the brain and it is responsible for the creativeness, emotions, and imagination. Therefore, the main difference between left and right brain is the brain lateralization.
1. “Left and Right Hemispheres – The Brain Made Simple.” The Brain Made Simple, Available Here
1. “Language Areas of the Brain” By Unknown – (CC BY-SA 4.0) via Commons Wikimedia
2. “Brain Lateralization” By Chickensaresocute – Own work (CC BY-SA 3.0) via Commons Wikimedia
Leave a Reply