Almond milk is a plant-based milk with a nutty flavor and creamy texture. Although most of us use commercially available almond milk, almond milk can also be made easily at home. You only need almonds, water, and a blender to make almond milk at home. The simplest method is grinding almonds in a blender with water and straining out the pulp with a strainer. Home-made almond milk is often healthier and creamier than commercially available products.
Key Areas Covered
What is Almond Milk
Almond milk is a plant-base milk with a creamy texture and nutty flavor, which is manufactured from almonds. Unlike dairy milk, this does not contain lactose or cholesterol and is suitable for those with lactose intolerance or for those who prefer not to consume dairy products, especially vegans.
Almond milk is also commercially available in different forms and flavors such as plain, sweetened, unsweetened, vanilla and chocolate. Commercial almond milk is usually fortified with micronutrients. Some brands also contain additives to length the shelf life and keep a consistent texture. However, almond milk can be also made at home easily.
How is Almond Milk Made
You only need raw almonds, water, a strainer and a blender to make almond milk. If you like, you can also add a sweetener like honey, agave syrup or sugar, but this is optional. Now let’s see how almond milk is made:
- Soak the almonds overnight or up to 2 days
- Drain and rinse the almonds
- Add almonds and water in a blender
- Blend at the highest speed for about 2 minutes
- Take out the almond pulp with the strainer
- Add sweeteners
You can refrigerate this almond milk and keep it up to three or four days. Note that you can also mix the almonds with water using a food processor, instead of a blender.
- The longer the almonds soak, the creamier the almond milk.
- Once you have rinsed the almonds from the soaking water, they should feel a little squishy if you pinch them.
- Throw away the water you used to soak the almonds; it contains phytic acid, which is not beneficial for your body.
- When you are adding the mixture to the blender, make sure that your blender is not filled to the rim. This is because the mixture expands.
- You can use the leftover almond pulp by adding it to oatmeal, muffins, and smoothies. You can also use it when you are baking.
By following the above instructions, you can make healthy and creamy almond milk, which is much better than shop-bought products. It only takes a few ingredients and a little time.