Whether you are a tourist, a student studying abroad, or a businessman, there are times when you feel the need to drive a car in the foreign country and at such times knowing how to get an international driving permit becomes invaluable. Self-driving saves time and it is more convenient than getting a driver from car rental companies. However, you need to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) to be allowed to drive a car in foreign countries. This is a document that is recognized in 175 countries of the world. However, you need to keep your driver’s license issued in your country along with this document to be allowed to drive a private motor vehicle in a foreign country. This article attempts to explain how to obtain an international driving permit.
What is International Driving Permit
The document that allows you to be granted permission to drive a private car in a foreign country is called International Driving Permit. However, you must have a valid driving license from your own country to get permission to drive a car. In fact, most car rental companies require you to have IDP to allow you to drive a car. This document remains valid for a period of twelve months from the date of issue. Different countries have different requirements and procedures to be followed to obtain an International Driving Permit.
How to Get an International Driving Permit in USA
• Two agencies, namely National Automobile Club and American Automobile Association issue IDPs in the country.
• You can get an IDP if you,
– already have a valid driver’s license for more than six months.
– you are over the age of 18.
• You can download the application form from the website of the providers (National Automobile Club and American Automobile Association) and post it or you can choose to visit the office locally.
• With the completed and signed application, you have to send
– Application fee of $15 (Check, Money Order, or Credit Card)
– Two passport size photos
– Duly signed copy of your driver’s license (both sides).
How to Get an International Driving Permit in Australia
• You can get your IDP in Australia from NRMA and Members of the Australian Automobile Association in different states and territories.
• You are eligible to get your IDP, if you are,
– holding a valid driver’s license
– above the age of 18
• You can download the application form from the website of NRMA, fill and sign it and send it along with
– $39 application fee
– A recent passport sized photos (35mm x 40mm)
– Copy of your driver’s license (both, front and back).
You can refer DFAT to get details about the IDP authority in your state.
How to Get an International Driving Permit in UK
You can easily get your IDP in UK from a Post Office or AA if you are over the age of 18 and possess a valid UK driver’s license. Post Office proves to be cheaper as you can get IDP for just 5.5 Pounds. You can also have a post dated permit from the post office.
• Go to the nearest post office.
• Fill up the form.
• Deposit the fee.
• Give a passport size photo and a copy of your UK passport.
• Give a proof of your identity.
You can also get your IDP from AA Folkestone. Just fill up the form and submit it along with your passport size photo, copy of your passport, and a copy of your UK driver’s license.
How to Get an International Driving Permit in India
In India, IDP is being provided by RTO offices. You can go to your nearest RTO office, fill up the form and submit it along with necessary documents to get your IDP in 5 days’ time. Following are the requirements for the IDP.
• Your driver’s license
• Copy of your passport
• Fee of Rs. 500
• Passport sized three photos
It is prudent to check the requirements in the country you are visiting, before applying for IDP.
Leave a Reply