The main difference between makeup and makeover is that makeup refers to cosmetic products, whereas makeover refers to changing the complete appearance of a person by using hairstyles and clothing.
Makeup and makeover are two different terms, but sometimes, we use them interchangeably. Cosmetics are used when doing makeovers, but they do not have to be necessarily included in it since priority is given to enhancing the beauty of the person using clothing, accessories, and hairstyles. Generally, both makeups and makeovers give people confidence by increasing their self-esteem.
Key Areas Covered
Cosmetics, Makeup, Makeover
What is Makeup
Makeup refers to cosmetic products such as lipstick or powder applied to the face to increase or change the appearance of a person. These are mixtures of chemical compounds that are either natural or artificially made. Makeup has a long history. People used castor oil as a protective balm and skin creams made using beeswax, rose water, olive oil, and lanolin in the nineteenth century.
Makeup is generally used externally. There are two types of cosmetics as decorative cosmetics, which are used to alter the appearance, and care cosmetics, which are used for personal care. Decorative cosmetics include primer, concealer, foundation, blusher, bronzer, highlighter, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, face powder, and lip products. Personal care cosmetics, on the other hand, include cleansers, toners, masks, moisturizers, and sunscreens.
At present, makeup is a gender-neutral product, though, in ancient times, it was only used for women. Makeup has given people confidence and the power to express and present themselves. Moreover, there are different types of makeup. Some examples are as follows:
- Nude makeup is a no-makeup makeup look. This looks closer to the natural skin. However, only sheer cover products are used here.
- HD makeup is flawless skin without any dark circles, large pores, and uneven skin tone.
- Matte makeup gives a shine-free, natural-looking makeup look with a porcelain finish
- Dewy makeup gives a glow and sheen natural look. Moreover, it can be created easily at home with an illuminating foundation.
- Airbrush makeup uses a small pen-like applicator that can airbrush the foundation and the blushers onto the face. It is also lightweight, long-lasting, and gives a smooth finish.
- Editorial makeup is creative, unique, and flawless and you can easily see it in print media.
- Celebrity makeup refers to celebrities’ signature looks.
- Permanent makeup gives perfectly and permanently done eyes and lips.
What is a Makeover
A makeover is a complete change in the appearance of a person. This includes hairstyles, makeup, clothes, and shoes. A makeover gives a new and fresh look to the person since outdated or uncomfortable clothes may lower a person’s self-esteem. However, the most common form is changing a person’s makeup and hairstyle. Makeovers also include cosmetic surgeries, dental veneers, and eye-color changing contact lenses to more extreme level surgeries like liposuction and abdominoplasty.
Makeovers have become popular because of reality TV shows that bring ordinary people and change them by giving them clothes, shoes, hairstyles, and makeup and make them confident, change their mood and give them positive attributes.
At present, with the development in technology, makeovers can also be done using software. We call this a virtual makeover. Using a photograph of a person, we can change the appearance by giving them different looks without actually changing them physically.
Difference Between Makeup and Makeover
Makeup refers to cosmetic products such as lipstick or powder we use to enhance or change the appearance of a person whereas makeover refers to a complete change in the appearance of a person.
Makeup only uses cosmetics while makeovers use hairstyles, clothes, shoes, and cosmetics.
There are various types of makeup, but there are no such categorizations in makeovers.
Makeup refers to cosmetic products such as lipstick or powder we use to enhance or change the appearance of a person, while a makeover is a complete change in the appearance of a person. Thus, this is the main difference between makeup and makeover. Makeup uses cosmetics to change the look of a person, but makeovers, use hairstyles, clothes, shoes, and sometimes cosmetics.
1. “Woman Styling Hair of Customer” by Rene Asmussen (CC0) via Pexels
2. “An Assortment of Beauty Products on a White Surface” by MART PRODUCTION (CC0) via Pexels