The main difference between onesies and bodysuits is in their deisng; onesies are loose-fitting while bodysuits are close-fitting.
Onesies and bodysuits are one-piece garments for babies. These are cosy and comfortable and can act as both sleepwear and leisurewear. Most parents may not be aware that there’s a difference between them. Even some shops and baby brands label them as the same product. However, there’s a subtle difference between onesies and bodysuits.
Key Areas Covered
1. What are Onesies
– Definition, Features, Uses
2. What are Bodysuits
– Definition, Features, Uses
3. What are the Similarities Between Onesies and Bodysuits
– Outline of Common Features
4. What is the Difference Between Onesies and Bodysuits
– Comparison of Key Differences
Baby Clothes, Bodysuits, Onesies, Diapers
What are Onesies
An onesie is a loosely fitted one-piece garment that covers the torso. It’s comfortable leisurewear and sleepwear for babies. It can also act as a diaper shirt or a creeper. This is because it can conceal the diaper. Onesies have a shirt-like pattern that goes beyond the waist and have buttons or snaps for closure over the crotch, allowing the easy change of diapers. This design also prevents the garment from riding up the baby’s body and exposing the skin.
Onesies come in a wide range of designs and can even be worn as undergarments or as outer shirts. These are made from comfortable fabrics, like cotton and flannel. It’s also important to note that the word onesie is mainly used by Americans.
What are Bodysuits
Bodysuits are close-fitting one-piece stretch garments. They usually do not have legs, but they can have long or short sleeves or no sleeves at all. Bodysuits are soft and comfortable clothing, designed with comfort and flexibility in mind. They are often used as sleepwear for babies. Although they have a fitted design, they keep the baby comfortable and cosy. You can even use them for both summer and winter.
Baby bodysuits have poppers at the bottom, making it easy to remove them during changing diapers. You can even match it with cardigans and leggings to make a complete outfit. It’s also possible to wear them under other items of clothes to replace a vest and keep the diaper secure.
Similarities Between Onesies and Bodysuits
- Onesies and bodysuits are one-piece garments.
- They are cosy and comfortable.
- Onesies and bodysuits come in a wide variety of designs and colours.
- Moreover, they can have either short sleeves or long sleeves; they can even be sleeveless.
- Both these types of garments can be used as sleepwear.
- They are easy to use with diapers.
- They have buttons or poppers at the bottom (crotch area), making it easy to remove the garment and change diapers.
- In addition, both are suitable for winter and summer.
- However, some shops and sellers may use these two words interchangeably.
Difference Between Onesies and Bodysuits
An onesie is a loosely fitted one-piece garment that covers the torso while a bodysuit is a close-fitting one-piece stretch garment.
While onesies are loose-fitting, bodysuits are close-fitting.
Some onesies have legs, but bodysuits usually do not have legs.
Onesies and bodysuits are one-piece garments for babies. The main difference between onesies and bodysuits is in their design. Onesies are loose-fitting while bodysuits are close-fitting. Moreover, some onesies have legs, but bodysuits usually do not have legs.
1. “Infant Bodysuit.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 2 Jan. 2021, Available here.
2. Smith, Sam. “Do You Get Confused over Baby Clothes?: Sleepsuits vs Bodysuits.” Cotton Boulevard, 18 Feb. 2020, Available here.