The main difference between transgender and transsexual is that the transgender is a person with a gender identity different from the biological sex whereas the transsexual is a person who has undergone a transition from one sex to another by a medical procedure. Furthermore, transgender is a more behavioral transition while transsexual is a physiological transition.
Transgender and transsexual are two conditions in people who have undergone alterations in their gender identity defined by the biological sex.
Key Areas Covered
1. What is Transgender
– Definition, Facts, Type of Transition
2. What is Transsexual
– Definition, Facts, Type of Transition
3. What are the Similarities Between Transgender and Transsexual
– Outline of Common Features
4. What is the Difference Between Transgender and Transsexual
– Comparison of Key Differences
Biological Sex, Medical Procedure, Transgender, Transsexual, Type of Transition
What is Transgender
Transgender is a person whose gender identity is different from their biological sex. Biological sex is assigned at birth as a male or a female based on several factors such as genetics, hormones, internal and external anatomy. Being transgender is more behavioral; for example, a female may feel like a male or vice versa. She or he may show some of the characteristics described below:
- Use a name of the other sex
- Use pronouns of the other sex
- Dress according to the other sex
- Engage in cultural activities of the other sex
However, transgender people do not think that they want to change their biological sex through a medical procedure. Hence, binary terms such as masculine or feminine are used in describing their gender. In addition, transgender is often used as an umbrella term to describe people who have undergone any type of sexual transition.
What is Transsexual
Transsexual is a person who has physically transitioned into the other sex. The transition can be achieved either by means of hormones, which suppress the biological sex while promoting the characteristics of the desired sex, or through a surgical procedure. Characteristics such as facial hair and breast development can be achieved by changing hormones. The anatomical features of the desired sex can be achieved through a gender reassignment surgery while removing the biological sex-related anatomical features to some extent.
Also, people are who born with congenital neurological intersex conditions are also identified as transsexual. This condition is also called Benjamin’s syndrome.
Similarities Between Transgender and Transsexual
- Transgender and transsexual are two conditions in which the gender identity has undergone a transition.
- Trans woman and trans man are the common terms used to describe this type of people.
Difference Between Transgender and Transsexual
Transgender refers to a person whose sense of personal identity and gender does not correspond with their birth sex while transsexual refers to a person who emotionally and psychologically feels that they belong to the opposite sex.
A transgender has a gender identity different from their biological sex while a transsexual has a gender identity similar to the assigned gender, which is different from the biological sex.
Biological Sex Transition
The transgender does not undergo a transition in the biological sex while the transsexual has undergone either hormonal change or surgical procedure for the transition from the biological sex.
Transgender is a more behavioral transition while transsexual is a more physical alteration of the biological sex.
Give Birth to Children
A transgender woman cannot give birth to a child while a transsexual woman can give birth to a child
A transgender is a person with a gender identity different from the biological sex while a transsexual is a person who has undergone medical procedures, transitioning his or her biological sex. The gender identity is equal to the transitioned sex in transsexuals. The main difference between transgender and transsexual is the equality of the gender identity to the assigned sex.
1. Nissim, Mayer. “What Should You Call Trans People?” PinkNews, PinkNews, 19 Mar. 2018, Available Here
2. Bradford, Alina. “What Does ‘Transgender’ Mean?” LiveScience, Purch, 17 June 2018, Available Here
3. “Transsexual.” Merriam-Webster, Merriam-Webster, Available Here
1. “Transgender Pride flag” By SVG file Dlloyd based on Monica Helms design – Description above retrieved from page “File talk:Transgender Pride flag.svg” at en.wikipedia.The flag was flown from a large public flagpole in San Francisco’s Castro District beginning November 19, 2012 in commemoration of the Transgender Day of Remembrance (“Transgender Flag Flies In San Francisco’s Castro District After Outrage From Activists” by Aaron Sankin, HuffingtonPost, November 20, 2012).On 19 August 2014, Monica Helms donated the original Transgender Pride Flag to the Smithsonian National Museum of American History. (Public Domain) via Commons Wikimedia
2. “TransgenreatParis2005” By Kenji-Baptiste OIKAWA – Own work (CC BY-SA 3.0) via Commons Wikimedia