How does the carbon cycle affect the hydrosphere? In the carbon cycle, the excess carbon dioxide makes the water more acidic. And, this puts marine life in danger as 55% of excess carbon dioxide is absorbed by oceans and plants. The remaining 45% of the excess carbon dioxide stays in the atmosphere.
The carbon flows between reservoirs, and the exchange is the carbon cycle. Any change in the carbon cycle can shift carbon out of some reservoirs, putting more carbon in other reservoirs. Changes that put more carbon in the atmosphere also results in warmer temperature on Earth.
Key Areas Covered
1. What is Carbon Cycle
– Definition, Features, Importance
2. What is Hydrosphere
– Definition, Features, Importance
2. How Does the Carbon Cycle Affect the Hydrosphere
– Features, Importance
Carbon Cycle, Hydrosphere
What is Carbon Cycle
The series of processes involved in the interconversion of carbon compounds in ecosystems are collectively called the carbon cycle. The major reservoirs of carbon are found in oceans and as fossil fuels. Atmospheric carbon dioxide is absorbed by photosynthetic organisms such as plants and algae to produce carbohydrates. This process is called photosynthesis. These carbohydrates pass through food chains; herbivorous animals eat plants for food, and carnivorous animals eat herbivorous animals for food. Both plants and animals release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere as a waste material of cellular respiration. Once these plants and animals are dead, decomposers work on the dead matter, and some amount of carbon in dead organisms is released into the atmosphere in the form of carbon dioxide. Ultimately, the rest of the carbon is released to the environment by the combustion of fossil fuels.
Pollution and deforestation are human activities that disturb the carbon cycle. Moreover, the increased consumption of fossil fuels may cause global warming.
What is Hydrosphere
Hydrophore is the total amount of water on the planet. It includes water on the surface of the planet, air, and underground. Therefore, the hydrosphere can be liquid, vapor, or ice. Liquid water occurs on the Earth in the form of oceans, lakes, and rivers. In addition, it occurs in the form of underground water in aquifers and wells. Further, water vapor occurs in clouds and fog. Also, ice is the frozen part of the hydrosphere occurring in glaciers, icebergs, and ice caps. Cryosphere is the term for the frozen part of water.
Water moves through the hydrosphere, forming a cycle. In the water cycle, water collects in clouds and falls onto the ground in the form of snow and rain. Then, water collects in oceans, lakes, and rivers. Again, water evaporates into the atmosphere, starting the cycle again. This makes the water cycle.
How Does the Carbon Cycle Affect the Hydrosphere
Carbon dioxide is the form of carbon that occurs in the atmosphere. In the carbon cycle, excess carbon dioxide in one reservoir goes into another reservoir. Thereby, excess carbon dioxide in the atmosphere moves into the oceans and plants. Others remain in the atmosphere. Nearly, 55% of excess carbon dioxide from the atmosphere moves into the oceans and plants. They absorb the excess amount of carbon dioxide. While the remaining 45% of excess carbon dioxide remains in the atmosphere.
Furthermore, excess carbon dioxide in the atmosphere dissolves in the ocean, making the oceans more acidic. The water becoming acidic is not good for aquatic organisms. Unfortunately, 30 % of the excess carbon dioxide that people put in the atmosphere diffuses into the oceans, thus causing direct chemical damage. And, it makes carbonic acid that is acidic.
The hydrosphere is the total amount of water on the earth. It occurs in the form of liquid, vapor, and ice. The liquid form of water occurs in rivers, lakes, and oceans. Meanwhile, the carbon cycle is the exchange of carbon between reservoirs. Carbon dioxide is the form of carbon that can occur in the atmosphere. In the carbon cycle, 30% of the excess carbon dioxide in the atmosphere diffuses into the oceans. Thus, this makes the oceans acidic due to the formation of carbonic acid. Hence, the excess amount of atmospheric carbon cause damage to the hydrosphere.
- The carbon cycle. NASA.
- “Carbon cycle-cute diagram” By Jmarchn– Derivative work (CC-BY-SA 3.0) via Commons Wikimedia
- “Diagram of the Water Cycle” By Ehud Tal – Own Work (CC-BY-SA 4.0) via Commons Wikimedia
Leave a Reply