The main difference between garlic salt and garlic powder is that garlic salt contains dried garlic and salt while garlic powder only contains dried garlic.
Garlic salt and garlic powder are two types of spices that can enhance the flavour of your food. Both these have a longer shelf life than fresh garlic and are easy to use. Moreover, both are readily available at a variety of shops and can also be easily made at home.
Key Areas Covered
1. What is Garlic Powder
– Definition, Features
2. What is Garlic Salt
– Definition, Features
3. What is the Difference Between Garlic Salt and Garlic Powder
– Comparison of Key Differences
Garlic Powder, Garlic Salt
What is Garlic Powder
Garlic powder is dehydrated and ground garlic. We use it in cooking to enhance the flavour of food. It’s a common element of spice mixes. Garlic powder is readily available at supermarkets and groceries, but we can easily make it at home. Some people may prefer garlic powder over fresh garlic since the powder has a longer shelf life and is easy to use. Garlic powder is perfect for seasoning mixes and adds flavouring as a condiment. It dissolves into any liquid, including marinades and salad dressings. In addition to those, it is ideal for flavouring ground meat.
You only need fresh garlic to make garlic powder at home. First, peel the cloves and cut them into thin slices. Then dry them in a food dehydrator or an oven in a single layer. When the garlic is dry, you can easily crush it with your hand – it crumbles easily. Next, allow the garlic to cool. Finally, grind the garlic using a food processor, spice grinder or a mortar and pestle until it reaches the desired consistency. Garlic powder should be stored in a dry, air-tight container like a glass jar or a spice bottle and placed in a cool, dry place.
What is Garlic Salt
Garlic salt is a mixture of garlic powder and salt. Store-bought garlic salts also contain an anti-caking agent like calcium silicate to prevent garlic powder and salt from sticking. Like garlic powder, garlic salt too can be easily made at home.
If you have garlic powder at home, just add one part garlic powder to three parts salt and mix well. Store it in an air-tight container until you use it. If you want to use fresh garlic, follow the below steps:
- Peel the garlic cloves and place them in a food processor.
- Add the salt. We recommend Kosher salt since iodine and other minerals in table salt can create discolouration in garlic.
- Process the mixture until it reaches the consistency of sand (for about 20 seconds)
- Now spread the mixture on parchment and place it on a baking sheet and bake in a 180 F oven for about an hour.
- Then place the mixture in the food processor again and process until it reaches the texture of cornmeal.
Difference Between Garlic Salt and Garlic Powder
Garlic salt is a mixture of garlic powder and salt, while garlic powder is dehydrated and ground garlic.
Garlic salt contains garlic, salt and an anti-caking agent (only some garlic salt), while garlic powder only contains dried garlic.
In garlic salt, the garlic flavour is diluted with salt, so garlic powder has a stronger garlic flavour.
The main difference between garlic salt and garlic powder is in their ingredients. Garlic salt contains dried garlic and salt, while garlic powder only contains dried garlic. If you don’t have garlic salt at hand, garlic powder and salt will make a good substitute for garlic salt.
1. Harrington, Justine. “How Do I Substitute Garlic Powder for Garlic Salt?” LEAFtv, 21 Nov. 2019, Available here.
2. Huffstetler, Erin. “Make Your Own Garlic Powder Using Fresh Garlic.” The Spruce Eats, Available here.