The main difference between blinds and curtains is that blinds can offer more light control than curtains as you can adjust the slats of the blind to get the desired amount of light.
Blinds and curtains are two options you can choose to cover your windows. A blind is a window covering typically made up of several long horizontal or vertical slats while a curtain is a hanging piece of fabric that covers a window or opening. There are advantages and disadvantages to both blinds and curtains.
Key Areas Covered
1. What are Blinds
– Definition, Features, Benefits
2. What are Curtains
– Definition, Features
3. What is the Difference Between Blinds and Curtains
– Comparison of Key Differences
Blinds, Curtains, Drapes
What are Blinds
Blinds are a type of window covering. A window blind is typically made up of several long horizontal or vertical slats. The slats could be made different materials like wood, plastic or metal; these are held together by cords that run through the slats. There are different types of windows, such as roller blinds, pleated blinds, Roman blinds, Venetian blinds, etc.
You can manoeuvre blinds either manually or with the use of a remote control. It is possible to rotate them from an open position, where slats space out, and to a closed position where slats overlap and block out most of the light. Moreover, motorized blinds (blinds operated with a remote) are perfect for windows that are difficult to reach.
Benefits of Blinds
- Light control – you can tilt the blinds up or down or close or open them to control the light
- Energy efficiency – blinds can trap air against windows while acting as insulation, so it is easier to heat or cool the home
- Easier to clean – Dusting and some spot cleaning a few times a year can keep them clean
- Many different varieties and styles to choose from
What are Curtains
A curtain is a hanging piece of fabric that covers a window or opening. Curtains are typically movable sideways along a rail and found as one of a pair at a window. Moreover, they are usually made of lighter fabrics like cotton and polyester. Curtains can be opened and closed quickly for light and privacy.
They come in a variety of shapes, sizes, colours, materials, and patterns. Structure of the pleats and length of the material can also make a difference in appearance. Box pleat curtains, eyelet curtains, pencil pleat curtains, tab-top curtains, and rod-pocket curtains are some popular curtains based on the pleat types.
Curtains are not the same as drapes. Drapes are heavy and formal while curtains are light and casual. When compared to drapes, curtains are affordable, easier to clean, and available in a wide variety of fabrics and patterns.
Difference Between Blinds and Curtains
A blind is a window covering typically made up of several long horizontal or vertical slats while a curtain is a hanging piece of fabric that covers a window or opening.
Blinds offer more light control than curtains since you can adjust the slats according to get the desired amount of light.
Moreover, blinds are made of wood, plastic, metal or fabric blinds, whereas curtains are made of light fabrics like cotton, polyester and rayon.
Designs and Patterns
Curtains have a wider variety of materials, patterns, and colours when compared to blinds.
Furthermore, curtains are usually more affordable than blinds. However, this may depend on the cost of the fabric; if it’s an expensive fabric, the curtain will be expensive.
Blinds can be cleaned by dusting and spot dusting while curtains can be easily cleaned by washing. Cleaning curtains is less time-consuming.
In addition, blinds can be more durable since curtains can fade over time.
A blind is a window covering typically made up of several long horizontal or vertical slats while a curtain is a hanging piece of fabric that covers a window or opening. There are advantages and disadvantages to both blinds and curtains. The main difference between blinds and curtains is that blinds can offer more light control than curtains.
1. “Window Blind.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 20 June 2020, Available here.
2. “Guide to the Different Types of Curtains – Curtains Up Blog: Kwik-Hang.” Kwikhang.com, 8 Nov. 2019, Available here.
1. “Shining Through, Window, Sun Blind, clean, flower, flowerpot, also, green, home, minimalism, minimalistic, room for text” (CC0) via Pickpik
2. “Potted plant on window with curtain, green potted plant placed on window pane between brown curtains” (CC0) via Wallpaper Flare
Leave a Reply