The main difference between riboflavin and riboflavin 5 phosphate is that riboflavin is the inactive form of vitamin B2, whereas riboflavin 5 phosphate is the active coenzyme form of vitamin B2.
Vitamin B2 is one of the eight B vitamins that are essential for human health. Vitamin B2 is water soluble and is present in grains, plants, and dietary products. Moreover, the functions of vitamin B2 include helping convert food into glucose, helping the body metabolize fats and proteins, helping the nervous system function properly, and making the liver, hair, skin, and eyes healthy. Both riboflavin and riboflavin 5 phosphate are two forms of vitamin B2.
Key Areas Covered
1. What is Riboflavin
– Definition, Features, Nature
2. What is Riboflavin 5 Phosphate
– Definition, Features, Nature
3. Similarities – Riboflavin and Riboflavin 5 Phosphate
– Outline of Common Features
4. Difference Between Riboflavin and Riboflavin 5 Phosphate
– Comparison of Key Differences
Riboflavin, Riboflavin 5 Phosphate, Vitamin B2
What is Riboflavin
Riboflavin is the inactive form of vitamin B2. It has a molecular formula of C17H20N4O6 and a molar mass of 376.4g/mol. It is commonly available in both plant and animal foods, including milk, green vegetables, nuts, eggs, meat, and enriched flour. Riboflavin can even be added to food or taken in as a supplement.
Riboflavin is an essential component of the two coenzymes; flavin mononucleotide and flavin dinucleotide. More than 90% of dietary riboflavin is in the form of FAD or FMN; the remaining 10% comprises the free form and glycosides or esters. Another source of riboflavin is the bacteria in the large intestine. These bacteria produce free riboflavins in small amounts and can be absorbed by the large intestine. The area in the intestine that absorbs riboflavin most is the proximal end of the small intestine. The body absorbs riboflavin in small amounts and stores them in the liver, heart, and kidneys. When excess amounts are taken in, only a small amount is absorbed, releasing the rest of the riboflavin in urine. Furthermore, the intake of vegetable-based food paves the way to produce more riboflavin than the intake of meat-based food.
Vitamin B2 contributes to normal energy-yielding metabolism. Moreover, vitamin B2 is present in its coenzyme form to participate in the citric acid cycle and yield energy. This compound helps in the normal functioning of the nervous system. Vitamin B2 is also useful for the maintenance of normal blood cells, as the deficiency in riboflavin causes anemic conditions. It functions as an antioxidant, as well. Riboflavin helps to maintain homocysteine in the blood. It also helps develop brain function, blood cells, skin, and the lining of the digestive tract.
What is Riboflavin 5 Phosphate
Riboflavin is a vitamin that exists in different forms, but the active forms that the body uses are synthesized within the mitochondria. The end product of this process is Riboflavin 5 Phosphate, which is further converted into Flavine Adenine Dinucleotide (FAD). In its bioavailable form, Vitamin B2 is also known as Riboflavin 5 phosphate, which is readily metabolized by the body.
Riboflavin 5 phosphate is also the active xo enzyme form of vitamin B12. It has a molecular formula of C17H21N4O9P and a molar mass of 456.3 g/mol. Furthermore, another name for riboflavin 5 phosphate is flavin mononucleotide, which is a coenzyme. Moreover, this coenzyme plays a critical role in growth and development, metabolism of fats, drugs, and steroids, cellular function, and energy production.
Similarities Between Riboflavin and Riboflavin 5 Phosphate
- Riboflavin and riboflavin 5 phosphate are two forms of vitamin B2.
- Both help in the energy metabolism, growth, and development of the body.
Difference Between Riboflavin and Riboflavin 5 Phosphate
Riboflavin is Vitamin B2, a water-soluble vitamin that is essential for various biological processes in the body, while Riboflavin 5 phosphate is the active form of riboflavin.
Riboflavin is the inactive form of vitamin B2, whereas riboflavin 5 phosphate is the active coenzyme form of vitamin B2.
Vitamin B2 is a water-soluble vitamin that is vital for many different body functions. Riboflavin and riboflavin 5 phosphate are two forms of vitamin B2. The main difference between riboflavin and riboflavin 5 phosphate is that riboflavin is the inactive form of vitamin B2, whereas riboflavin 5 phosphate is the active coenzyme form of vitamin B2.
1. “Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin).” Mount Sinai.
2. “Riboflavin 5 Phosphate.” Metabolics.
1. “Structure of riboflavin” By UMcrc14 – Own work (CC BY-SA 4.0) via Commons Wikimedia
Leave a Reply